“I Disown You Right Back” with Mrs. Trixie Cane is the first video in a new video series that I am curating called, “Queer Coping.”
Through “Queer Coping” I am soliciting short (under 5 min) videos from queers, feminists & trans* people with relatives who follow religions that perpetuate homophobia, transphobia and powerfulwomenphobia. (You can replace “phobia” with “hate” if that’s more accurate to your situation.) In this project I’m asking folks to make videos that answer the question, “How do you (queer) cope with your religious relatives?”
There are so many resources to help the families of queers and trans* people “cope” with us, but so few for those of us trying to cope with these relatives. I suspect that people’s (queer) coping strategies will change throughout their lives. Maybe this is something that you will want to take up in your video; or maybe you’ll want to make several videos documenting your (queer) “coping” strategies at different phases of your life. Or maybe your coping strategies aren’t what you understand as “queer” and that’s okay too. I want to know about it!
If you aren’t sure about making a video but you want to participate in the project, contact me & I can arrange for an interview with Mrs. Trixie Cane!
To submit to this project:
Rolling deadline: Dec 30, Jan 30, Feb 28 — or be in touch!
1. Make a short video of less than 5 minutes (you can submit several). It doesn’t have to be fancy. Please don’t use people’s real names if they don’t want you to or anything that would be slanderous.
Please also don’t use sound, image, video, etc. files that you don’t have fair use access to or copyright for. This includes family photos with other people in them, if you don’t have their permission.
Feel free to contact me before you make the video, if you want to throw some ideas around.
I welcome videos that text & non-text based and videos in languages other than English. If you are sending me a video that is not in English, please either include English subtitles, even basic ones, or send me the script so that I can be sure that the video isn’t slanderous, etc.
2. Convert/save as a Quicktime (.mov) file or as an MP4.
3. Send me the video via YouSendIt or We Transfer or some other system that will allow me to download your video.
4. Send me an email with your name in the subject line, with a thumbnail photo file, the title of your video and full credits (including the name you want to use in relation to this video, what your role was and all the names of the other folks who worked on it, provided images, video, audio, etc.). If the video is untitled, please use “untitled” as the title.
All emails should be sent to QueerCoping@gmail.com. Videos will be posted here on this tumblr and the Queer Coping video calendar here: http://www.52pickupvideos.com/HTML/Cowan_y2_grid.html
5. I will write back to you within a few days and let you know when your video will be screened on the amazing video calendar, 52 pick-up, run by Dayna McLeod. The project will run from March 15, 2013-March 15, 2014 and all videos will be uploaded to this site.
The video can be as simple or as complicated as you like. If there is enough interest in “Queer Coping,” I’d like to put it together as a feature-length video montage.
Thanks for your interest! Send your videos!
Mrs. Trixie Cane